Saturday, November 21, 2009

Trailer but not for a Movie

Sorry Picture Not Found

Okay, so there has been a variety of material on this Blog over the last few months, but what the heck can a car trailer possibly have to do with ICT ?

Well trailers can be used to transport really big Bass Amps and Band PA's; (as well as a few Blade Servers), but that's not the answer this time.

Trailers and ICT are not related directly, but the picture shown is of Big Passy's recently rebuilt and reconditioned trailer, ready to be taken on its maiden trip to the recycling center.

What I want to share with you here is the power and usefulness of the internet whenever there is a job to be done.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the original trailer, with broken lights that did not work, and all rusty, with no rear closing gate on it, and so on.

But to get it to the pristine condition it is now in, I needed to:
  • Find out what plugs, cable, wires, and trailer lights I would need
  • Learn how to wire up trailer lights
  • Learn how to remove rust and then repaint steel metal
  • Find out where I could get some cheap replacement rubber tires
  • Check with the local traffic authorities if the trailer was large enough to require registration
Naturally all of the answers were quickly and easily found on the internet.
In fact I felt just like my hero "Neo"
in The Matrix: continually loading material into my brain and suddenly knowing how to do all sorts of things.

Sorry Picture Not Found

For me it was just good fun learning new things, but there was also a lot of money saved by the DIY approach, especially in relation to the electrics.

Sorry Picture Not Found

So my advice to any budding trailer enthusiasts out there, is to use "Penetrol" and "White Knight" brand paints for the rust locking and recovery and final painting.

And to Watch the following videos to learn all about how to wire trailers:









Perhaps I will see if I can get a good photo at the recycling center of a whole bunch of discarded computers or something interesting to spice up another blog post someday.

Enjoy,
Big Passy Wasabi

No comments:

Post a Comment